PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay diverts to Novosibirsk
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 15:08
BalusKaptan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh nick off.
Crew had a fire warning. You as a passenger expect top level of safety. Crew also expect themselves to be ultra safe. Fire warning en-route, 18 minutes to be on ground/ditching or you may be toast.
Boeing figures indictate that 1 in 200 fire warnings are genuine, so what do you do??
Only possibility is a ditching/forced landing in inhospitable terrain or enroute available airport. Then unless I've unarguable evidence that I'm on fire I'll continue to a suitable enroute airport rather than ditch, possible many kms from land, but if an enroute airport is available then I'll land ASAP.
Why the aggro over this latest incident?
There can be multiple events like this in this day and age of twin engine operations where it can be alleged the Crew did/did't do what was appropriate but normally, as in this case, they did the appropriate actions. Just imagine, had the fire warning been genuine yet ignored by the crew and then they attempted to continued to their destination and then fallen apart?
This Crew took the correct and appropriate action of putting the aircraft and it's occupants on the ground in a safe and expiditious manner in a rapid response to the situation.
Well done.
We bitch about the on going degradation of the Cathay in-flight service yet the one thing that we as Tech Crew can do is provide a second to none Proffesionaly
competnt flight Crew that though they are behind the scenes, provide Crews on any particular flight that are second to none in todays environment.