PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 15:08
Callum Paterson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLA is stuck with being on the wrong side of Glasgow.
Marketing spew fabricated by GD. GLA is on the 'wrong' side of Glasgow. Wrong side for who exactly? For yourself in Oban GLA is on the 'right' side of Glasgow. For people living in Paisley (Scotland's largest town!), Greenock, Balloch, Helensburgh and the entire west coast of Scotland, GLA is on the 'right' side of Glasgow. For everyone living in Glasgow (Scotland's largest city, GLA is one the 'right' side of Glasgow and for the millions of tourist looking to visit Glasgow itself, Scotland's ski resorts including Glencoe, Scotland's thousands of Loch's including Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park, and not to mention the Highland Railway, GLA is without doubt on the 'right' side of Glasgow. As far as I'm concerned EDI is on the 'wrong' side of Scotland. You see, this depends entirely on who you ask. Therefor marketing spew fabricated by GD.

I would suggest that the market for this route will not,in the main, be incoming PAX looking to admire our scenery - the scenery around Bergen is even grander. It will outgoing, many heading for a Norwegian Coastal Cruise (Hurtigruten), and I would have thought that Edinburgh would be a bigger market.
If you feel this route will predominately be subscribed to by outbound passengers originating in Scotland then it makes perfect sense to offer this route from the population center of Scotland, therefor generating the biggest potential for take-up of the flight. Your own argument makes GLA the logical choice for this route.

PS... just once I've love to discuss GLA's gains without people bringing up EDI. Just saying.