PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A380 crosswind at Schiphol today -- question about technique
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 20:33
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
andytug

I'd really caution that there appears to be, putting it politely, a bit of confusion and incorrect info contained in that link you posted, and I'd hate to see it perpetuated here.

Just to be clear last time I looked the 744 certainly has not got the B-52 main gear system where you can "skew" the main gear prior to touch down to account for expected drift (and FWIW you can't do that on the 777 either).

I think some of the guys on the pelican thread are getting confused/misunderstanding the function of the body gear steering (747)/rear axle steering (777) - that's only available at slowish speed whilst taxying.

As for the comment in that place that there is no dry crosswind limit "per se" I'm hoping that's a typo. There's most definitely a crosswind limit for dry runways on most if not all aircraft. It's been a while since I flew it but dry cross wind limit for the 744 on a dry runway is well above 25 knots, it may be operator dependant but it's more like 35 knots, if not more.

Last edited by wiggy; 23rd Nov 2016 at 09:11.