PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 16:28
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you scroll down on LTNman's link to 'Colours in The Sky' you will find an example of my sweat and tears which produced the Crew Roster which gives you an idea of some of the Ambassador destinations in August 1966. One Ambassador operating the schedule: BLK-LTN (ex nightstop) then LTN-BLK-GLA-BLK-LTN then LTN-BLK and nightstop.

Most IT Charters with the Ambassador were operated to the Mediterranean Resorts, south to Djerba, also north eastern Italy (Rimini and Treviso) and Athens. Also many charters to destinations in what was then politically Western Europe. Not a great deal in Scandinavia apart from Denmark. I do remember how one winter we undertook an MOD charter to Bardufoss in Northern Norway. Unfortunately we had failed to appreciate the very low temperatures that would be encountered there and the Ambassador promptly went AOG as a result of the hydraulics icing up. I'm not sure if the crew got home in time for Christmas or not!

There were also regular charters from Luton to Berlin and back for Service Families at Christmas. A series of charters was operated to Hamburg for Licensed Victuallers Associations who visited the Breweries. As a callow youth I went along on one of these flights and have never been the same since.
The Ambassadors also operated 'Works Outings Charters' The Dutch bulbfields and Northern France being popular destinations in this respect. On a personal note I wangled a seat for my cousin and myself when we sent two Ambassadors to Le Touquet for the day on a 'Works Outing'. Together with the flight engineer and some of the cabin crew we hired a car, stocked up in the market and drove off on a glorious day for a picnic in a wonderfully isolated coastal spot. It was only on leaving there that we noticed the notices regarding land-mines.
From time to time Autair's Ambassadors acted as flying classrooms for the local schools. I recall going along and giving the commentary when we took a party of children down to the West Country to look at the Severn Bridge which had recently opened. What a stunning photo that would have made with the old Ambassador circling over the bridge. Dave Hampson was the skipper.

While I was with Autair the company performed their last Mediterranean or Middle East Tour in 1966 when the Ambassador with one crew was tasked to trundle all the way round the Med in a leisurely fashion and be away for three weeks or so over Christmas. I was sent to London with the Crew's Passports to obtain the necessary visas. I think the tour visited Israel and thus had to route to and from Israel via Cyprus and then onwards to Egypt. I remember taking my dog with me to a deserted Luton Airport on Christmas Day to check the ops teleprinter and the progress or lack of it by the Ambassador.

Happy Days!

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 23rd Nov 2016 at 09:08.