PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 15:46
Danny42C

Oops !

MPN11,

Googled around a bit, came up with:

HANSARD 1803–2005 → 1950s → 1953 → November 1953 → 19 November 1953 → Commons Sitting

BOMBING RANGE, SALTFLEET,

HC Deb 19 November 1953 vol 520 cc1940-7 1940
§ 5.1 p.m.
....§Mr. Cyril Osborne (Louth) I wish to bring to the notice of the House a question that affects my constituency and, especially, villages just North of Mablethorpe. Near the village of Saltfleet there is a bombing target range which was established in the early 30's. The burden of all I wish to say on behalf of my constituents can be put into one sentence—please will the Air Ministry take the range away? We do not mind if they take it to Scotland, we do not mind if they take it to Wales, we do not mind where they lake it so long as they take it away. If they take it to some place where no one lives that would be a good thing ...........
............Just after last August Bank Holiday a rather heavy smoke bomb was dropped on a public house called the "Prussian Queen." It went through the window of a lavatory. Had it dropped half an hour earlier someone would have been knocked out, or killed. Complaints have been made of a series of bombs which were dropped miles from the target. I think my hon. Friend will agree that more than a dozen have dropped wide of the target....
The toilet seat was supposed to have been rescued from the ladies' loo and (suitably mounted and with a tablet recounting the circumstances) on display behind the Lounge bar for years.

The pub is still there. Have any more recent visitors anything to add ?

Danny.