PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the pilot shortage here?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 12:10
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem is: define suitable. "Cream will always rise." True, but the modern airline doesn't need cream, it needs good enough = average, and as the average standard requirement has diluted so has the average skill threshold. The necessity for a pilot to be an above average handling pilot is no more. Indeed there are many places where, other than initial base training, stints of manual flying are discouraged. Can you manipulate the a/c via the automatics & SOP's and a standard day and then land the darned thing in the correct place once the Autopilot has put it in the correct place at 500', in trim & on speed? Click click, bonk. Good good I'm a pilot. After 4 years shift 3 feet left and earn more dosh under 30 than you dreamed of when starting school at 7 years old.
In that process there is very little piloting skill to be demonstrated; there is not that much 'man management' training/assessing going on either: you've got it or you haven't. There are too many operators that take your cash for self-funded training without assessing properly if you are in-built captain material. OK, you pass the course by being within limits at all times and are a faithful SOP disciple, but I do hear stories of some pretty incompetent decisions being made about non-QRH issues, usually pax on-ground orientated. I even heard about a/c flooding because there was no SOP to close the door and delay boarding. And god forbid if the APU s u/s and it's 30c with a 2 hr slot and someone has to make a smart decision.
There's more to captaincy than hours and tests. Taking a 400 pax large group, and 16 relatives, across the world back over 6 days and manage all the traps thrown in your path is no mean feat. The same is true for short-haul over 5 days in 5 different hotels with early starts during a severe winter. I think 'man management' in the job is overlooked too much.