PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident
Thread: Incident
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 07:59
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Mary they vary a great deal as do procedures ..from two handed in a compartment and very rarely donned outside of the sim to one handed, full faced and suspended from the ceiling.
One of my mates was a bearded ex V bomber skipper and he was advised to shave as the mask wouldn't seal.
I can assure you it ain't anything like gliders and would give anyone claustrophobia. We did an exercise on the sim..non toxic smoke, O2 mask plus smoke goggles which had a liberal scrubbing with a Brillo pad to leave a very small clear area and not helped because I have to wear my spectacles. It was similar to varifocals with a pinpoint field of view which meant the peripheral vision is non existent and very difficult even to read the checklists which had to be done with a torch.
A mate had fire in the overhead panel..emergency bus panel..after take off in the climb below 10,000ft...did a 180 and iirc an auto land down wind. Severely burnt his hand and it was only when the CC came in to ask about evacuation that they realised that they had got the fire out as the whole of the cockpit was covered with ash.

Had two real smoke incidents my first with a Lasham pilot whose last power flight was in a Lanc and terminated over the Reich..I can assure you that it scared the **** out of me.

As to Slowjet...that he proudly states he is an ex TRE/IR and selection says everything...the safest place for some pilots is in the office and one of the very few guys I had to take control from was of his class.