PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight sim joysticks
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2016, 02:26
WingnutAlan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevmusic
Have you checked the sim settings are on zero null? By default FSX has a lot of dead movement. Also most sims are made as games, so the default aircraft are made easy to fly (i.e. don't have realistic handling). Many downloaded aircraft have not been made by pilots, and are intended to be "flown" on autopilot only. If you have the time and inclination it is not too difficult to make an aircraft handle and perform reasonably accurately.

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick, with some modifications:
a) Handle removed and about 2 feet of 3/4 inch i/d steel tube attached to the stub. The lot screwed to a bit of boarding. Handle replaced on top of the tube. There are some wires which need extending but that is easy enough to do.
b) rudder bar (another bit of steel tube) pivoted on the base board, with a pushrod to move a 100K linear potentiometer. The potentiometer is connected to the original rudder wires inside the stick base (the original stick has a twist handle rudder)
c) throttle is another 100K linear potentiometer in a small box which I attach to the chair armrest with a rubber band when I want to use it. Potentiometer wires connect to the original throttle wires inside the base.

The lot can be unplugged and moved out of the way quickly when not needed.

Total cost was about £55 (UK) plus some wire and odds and ends. The job is easy enough if you do DIY. There are no fancy electronics involved.

I made a copy for an ATC Squadron, and added proper rudder pedals and a throttle/prop/mixture/flaps knob/elevator trim wheel modelled on the Grob Tutor. It needed an USB interface board and five more potentiometers. Total cost of that was probably around £80, and took a weekend to make.

I find my setup provides pretty much the same stick and rudder pedal travel as a real Chipmunk/Bulldog/Tutor. Only the V squared "feel" force is missing, and don't think anyone has sorted that out yet without spending a fortune.