PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2016, 22:12
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the answer to your question, Clunckdriver, is that these reputable bodies are burying their heads in the sand and hoping it will all blow over and that we will let it drop. Clear evidence of this is the rewritten citations from HCAP and now Portsmouth University focusing on the long-standing commitment to "outreach" (it seems working two/three years on an all-expenses paid jolly qualifies for a Doctorate). I note that TCT webpage has now started showing the "outreach" information; biggest load of tosh I have seen so far; and that is saying something!

The long dialogue below is an indication of this blind-eye attitude. I wrote to Portsmouth University, received the reply and then wrote a second e-mail (I have yet to receive any acknowledgement to this).

To the Press Office at Portsmouth University 8 Nov 2016

Dear Sir
I am writing to you to express my deep anger and concern with regards to the issue of an Honorary Doctorate to Miss Curtis-Taylor.
She is most certainly not someone worthy of such an accolade. Her background is one of deception and misleading comment which has led to her preparing for quite a lucrative career as an after-dinner speaker and self-promoter.

She has raised a tremendous amount of money from some very wealthy sponsors (Boeing and Artemis Investments to name but two) based upon the idea that she was to make flights from Capetown to Goodwood, UK to Australia, and a third ill-fated, trip across the USA as a SOLO adventure. The press and establishments such as yours believed this to be the case. The world press has reported the flights as such and she has gained a great deal of media attention. Boeing issued a press-release stating the same SOLO aspect.

This is blatantly untrue, images started to appear showing she clearly had someone else in the aircraft with her. It turns out that this individual was in fact Ewald Gritch, a highly-qualified pilot with more than 20,000 hours flying experience. She received an award from the Light Aircraft Association for her tremendous feat of navigation; last month, this body of her peers rescinded the award as the truth came out. Miss Curtis-Taylor continues to protest her innocence in this matter and explains that she has never made any assertions that her flights were SOLO and it is that the media have made the error. There are claims that the primary role of the second flight was "outreach", this would be commendable if it were true. I would hardly consider flying members of the Greek and Saudi Royal families an "outreach" event; these were nothing more than vain self-promotion.

From various sources I am aware that the University gave this award to what they considered to be an inspirational individual and an excellent female role model. I suggest that this is far from the truth, what she shows is that the only way a young woman can achieve her goals is if mis-informed backers support her, if she has an ability to deceive, and is supported by an experienced male pilot. She has deflected blame and does not accept that she has done anything wrong, there is a clear lack of integrity and an almost narcissistic trait - certainly not an ideal role model for anyone. Please take a moment to look at the attached images and video link. Whilst doing so, bear in mind that this is a woman that you have lauded and who claims she has never mislead anyone. To add insult to injury, she also has the audacity to wear a Royal Air Force pilot brevet. she has neither earned this right nor has the right to wear such a badge of distinction. Doing so may in fact be a criminal offense contrary to the armed Forces Act 1955.

Image 1 - Taken from one of her many speaking engagements, please note the use of the word ALONE.
Image 2 - Taken from an article published in the Daily Telegraph October 2015. In the highlighted quote note the use of the phrase "...on my own". I have contacted the newspaper and their response verifies that this is a direct quotation from Miss Curtis Taylor.
Image 3 - A screen-shot from her own twitter page in April. She thanks Katherine LaGrave for a wonderful article which carries the headline "Meet the Woman Flying Solo Across the U.S.
Image 4 - A copy of the Boeing press statement. Note the word SOLO.
Image 5 - An image of her wearing the RAF brevet.

Most damning of all is the discovery of a video of her taken in September 2014 at Herne Bay, Amy Johnson commemoration day. Twice in the video she states that her flights were SOLO. I have attached the edited clips, but the full video is available here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpFQmFx7u8c&t=8s

It was not until the 11th of June this year she that she made any attempt to correct the SOLO claims. She has now made 5 such statements of varying content - all trying to shift the blame onto others. Tracey Curtis Taylor - Aviatrix, Adventurer, Inspirational Speaker

I mentioned earlier the ill-fated USA flight, she crashed shortly after departure from Winslow in Arizona. She has completed and signed official documents which have been amended to change the ACCIDENT to INCIDENT. Quite possibly contrary to aviation law.

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long e-mail. I believe that Portsmouth University have made a grave error of judgement in making any award to her and would hope that the decision will now be reconsidered given the factual information I have supplied.

May I ask that you acknowledge receipt of this and I look forward to reading your reply.

Reply received from Press Office – Portsmouth University – 10 November 2016
Dear ######,

Apologies for the delay coming back to you.
We are sorry that you feel disappointed the University has awarded an honorary degree to Tracey Curtis-Taylor. However, we did not make this award to her on the basis that she had completed solo flights or explicitly because of her activities within aviation. The award was primarily due to her longstanding commitment to outreach activities that support good causes such as services charities, education and young people.
Best wishes,
########

My response sent back to Portsmouth University 10 November 2016

Dear #####, thank you for the reply.
With respect may I ask that my message is read again. The aviation side is separate to the award your University has granted but it highlights the deceit and lack of any moral integrity on her part. The point I was making is that she is not fit to be considered a role-model or an inspiration. The outreach to get more women into aviation, science and technology is laughable. There have been women pilots for many years, Miss Curtis-Taylor openly admits to hating modern technology and lives, in her own mind at least, in the glory days of the 1930s and associated male domination.
We live in enlightened times, men and women compete on an equal footing, what she has achieved has been done through lies, misinformation and deflection of blame - not forgetting the air-brushed-out-of-the-story male who was essential for her to succeed. She is incapable of accepting her own weaknesses. Her whole back-story is based on fraud.
My question is; do the Awards Committee truly believe she meets any of the criteria for an award and do they wish to be associated with her, someone who refers to herself as " a bird"?
If so, then I fear for the morality, integrity, and ambitions of your future graduates. I really do look forward to their considered response.
Yours sincerely
###########

My message to TCT is simple; answer the questions that have been asked.