PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Charts?
Thread: Which Charts?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2016, 20:31
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you glider12000 and blueandwhite,

I do have SkyDemon, and do use digital charts. I can't rate that piece of software highly enough really! Yes you can print them, but even with the enhanced topographic data downloaded, I don't see the passes and ridge lines as accurately as I would like them.

Perhaps this is because I was spoiled in NZ with stunning 1:250k VFR maps, with the height of all possible passes and peaks which made planning a lot easier. This illusion might have been kept up with SIA producing 1:250k VFR charts for the pyrenees too. They were especially useful in bad weather / low cloud to predict weather patterns.

I am particularly interested in cables, and other man-made structures and their precise locations (as some are very hard to spot). I find the SD maps too general on some of these. This is fine if flying with a 1:500k, and flying broad routes such as the GAFORS routes with wide valleys etc... But not perfect if you need to really hug the side of cliffs / mountains to give you that return option should you need it in tighter areas!

Thanks Jan & djtaylor - I'll explore these!