PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2016, 16:26
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Mary Ellis HCAP Award

fwjc commented
Apparently Tracey will be speaking at the BWPA Christmas Dinner and AGM event in a couple of week's time. I had intended to attend the dinner but I refuse to pay money to hear beautifully presented twaddle.
Well the BWPA are certainly going to have an interesting speaker.

Meanwhile it is nice to see the HCAP giving an award to a woman pilot who really earned it.
Mary Ellis is 99 and delivered over 400 aircraft during WW2. However despite her war service she was not entitled to wear the RAF brevet.

This has been in the UK press over the last few days.

SECOND World War pilot, Mary Ellis, one of the last surviving members of the Air Transport Auxiliary, has been awarded the Master Air Pilot certificate by the Honourable Company of Air Pilots.

Mary delivered more than 400 aircraft to squadrons throughout the UK during the war, flying more than 60 different types of aircraft.During a ceremony at the New Holmwood Hotel in Cowes, around 70 guests, including members of the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Naval Air Service Association, assembled to honour Mary.
She was presented the certificate by Air Commodore Rick Peacock-Edwards CBE AFC.Mary said: "This is a most wonderful honour. It makes me very proud and I am unable to find words for my deep appreciation of this award."

Mary was the Commandant of Sandown Airport for many years and will be celebrating her 100th birthday in February.

Veronica Hermiston, speaking at the ceremony, said: "Mary has an awesomely distinguished flying experience.

"When you consider that she had to land in camouflaged air fields in atrocious conditions with no weapons and completely defenceless, you realised what a talented pilot she was."

Last weekend, Mary was part of the Royal Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

She was one of two women at the festival to represent the Air Transport Auxiliary

The Royal British Legion made a special salute to the auxiliary and its contribution to the RAF in the Second World War during the festival at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday.

The annual festival, which honours all those who gave their lives fighting for the country, also marked the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the Spitfire — an aircraft Mary flew more than 400 times.

Mary told the County Press: "It was absolutely wonderful — it really was a great experience. It was first time I had been to the Royal Albert Hall in 50 years.

"I didn’t meet the Queen but she smiled at me from the Royal Box and I smiled back. It was lovely, 4,000 other people were doing the same."

Mary, who used to deliver aircraft to airfields, had to fly in bad weather, at risk of being shot down and often in planes that had not been properly flight-tested.

"It was a little nerve-wracking being the centre of attention. I wish I had been in a plane," said Mary.

"I don’t feel like I’m nearly 100. I feel 45. I still do things I’ve always done, like gardening and driving my car."

During the war, she delivered about 1,000 planes, including Spitfires and Wellington bombers, equipped only with a compass, a stopwatch and a map to navigate with.
Inspiring Isle of Wight pilot Mary Ellis recognised for wartime service

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 21st Nov 2016 at 16:37.