PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Charts?
Thread: Which Charts?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2016, 13:48
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Charts?

Hello & Happy Monday!

I am currently planning a trip from London (EGKB) down to Rome (LIRU).

I am wondering which charts people are using to fly the Alps and where I can acquire them from. I am particularly looking for up to date 1:250k charts going between Geneva / Lausanne and Italy (preferably laminated).

I am aware of the GAFORS and preferential routes which is definitely one option, especially if the weather isn't perfect. As I have quite a bit of experience flying in mountainous regions, and am familiar with mountain flying techniques as well route planning through mountains, I would be very keen to fly my own route should the weather play ball! If winds allow, a climb to FL140+ to see / go around Mont Blanc springs to mind. ( yes - I fly a turbo arrow which is happy climbing there, and I carry (and use) oxygen and I am also aware of the restricted area LFR30B ). I would want paper (or laminated) charts 1:250k to make my planning, options, and fall-back options should weather not play nice!

I will hopefully be flying back through Croatia, and up through Slovenia, Northern Italy / Austria depending on wx before re-entering Switzerland and heading back to the UK from there.

Would anyone know where I can get up to date VFR 1:250k charts for that area? I know that this is a wide area that I am looking for, but if there was at least a few websites that I could purchase the charts from in the UK it would be really appreciated!

Thank You
Alex