PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 21st Nov 2016, 12:06
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
"Once the rate of climb or descent builds up, then the effect of aerodynamic surfaces behind the center of gravity (e.g. stab / elevator, and tail boom itself) will act in the same way - pitch down for a descent, pitch up for a climb."

The writing leaves the impression that it takes time ( I.e., getting to a new steady state condition ) for the aerodynamics to take effect. But in fact the aerodynamics take effect as soon as the collective moves, since the angle of attack on the tail, be it fixed or a FBW stabilator, changes immediately. Sorry for proposing an example that is hard for the posters to replicate, but if you take a machine like the S-70, get it to 150, and then do a series of collective inputs, up/down, various increments and rates , stabilator active and stabilator fixed ( electronics OFF ) you'd see the effect is immediate. Don't mean to over react and I accept what I think was the meaning of your statement, and am sort of fencing with the verbiage.