PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2016, 00:40
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the video of the interview with Kate Tojeiro, which is linked on the Bird in a Biplane website. Around 11 minutes in, TCT describes the controlled airspace around Victoria Falls, an leaves the listener understanding that aircraft of her type and operation are permitted flight over at 6000 feet. (I have no knowledge of that area of Africa, 'just listening to what TCT says). Then TCT goes on to explain that she wasn't talking to anyone (ATC, I presume), so she "swooped in low" 200-300 feet, and did a few circuits. Then she tells of being told to talk to ATC and having three hours of being told off. Yeah!?! Is this surprising? ATC would probably like their controlled airspace respected!

Shortly after that, in that interview, she describes formation flying with a Piper Cub at 10 feet above the water, with "flamingos going sideways". I hear this as really irresponsible airmanship, from the low flying perspective, flight out of gliding distance, and harassing wildlife/high bird strike risk. Responsible pilots, inspirational pilots don't do that! They sure don't brag about it!!

In my opinion, such flying, which TCT has described herself, on an interview linked on her website, is exactly the kind of flying which should be prosecuted for violation, rather than used to inspire [persons of any gender], or worse, awarded!

It appears to me that TCT started out with a plan, drew a team around her to execute the plan, promoted the plan, and then found that the plan was unworkable. Okay, that happens.... Then honour up, and make the truth out of a difficult situation. Instead, there appears to be recurring push back (by listening to what she says, and reading what she posts).

It's embarrassing! Other foreign pilots flying over Victoria Falls will be branded with suspicion resulting from her disrespect for aviation safety. I, as a pilot, would not like to be grouped with her by people who might be inspired to fly. I would like to inspire respectful, compliant, and safety minded pilots.

Ms. Curtis Taylor, how is what you, yourself are saying and writing, (on your website) promoting respectful, compliant, and safety minded piloting?