PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350 at Stornoway
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2016, 21:55
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm inclined to sympathise with fantom's comments. Unfortunately, the video only starts after the a/c has crossed the runway threshold, so the critical last mile or so of the approach is not shown.

However, the a/c looks as if it may have drifted left (downwind) of the extended runway centreline during the approach. That's a common mistake (we've all done it). My guess is that it was still recovering the error as it passed over the threshold.

For a crabbed approach (i.e., one without sideslipping) in a long-bodied a/c, the cockpit has to be positioned significantly upwind of the centreline if the main gear is to be over the centreline. During de-crab, the main gear won't move sideways much, being near the C of G. The nose will regain the centreline.

The right main-wheel bogie/truck seems to touchdown close to the centreline. Because the a/c is tracking towards the centreline, however, the error is corrected during the de-crab.

IMO, the main-gear drift at touchdown is probably more than the pilot had in mind. But, as the runway is damp-to-wet, some of it may have been planned.