PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminalisation of Air Accidents
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2016, 18:33
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Step. I tried a search with the Occurance Number, didn`t come up with anything. Rather odd that there does not seem to be a report published.
However in the CADORS report there is no mention of instructor or instruction. Instead check out by one pilot to another owner/pilot is stated as the purpose of the flight. In my days that was perfectly legitimate. Makes me wonder how the ligature of "instructor" was hung around the chap`s neck to get him convicted. Perhaps it was because a float plane was involved for which the appropriate licence endorsement was required.
BIG Pistons, yes I agree, there are special circumstances, but do believe it is of concern for flying instruction as a whole. Yes you are also correct in your remark about our litigious society. I recall two incidents back in the dim distant past. One was an instructor who demonstrated a full spin from a stall to his student and crashed. Another was an instructor who sent off a student solo with insufficient fuel and the aircraft crashed shortly after becoming airborne. Luckily the student was not killed. In both of these cases the instructors were not charged with a criminal offence. Now in the scale of things the little mishap you have had is no sin at all. My only comment would be if your student was an ab initio then perhaps the wisdom of instruction on a retractable may be questionable. If he was converting to a more complex type then I don`t believe you can hold yourself entirely to blame. In the final outcome, it is really a matter of conscience, but that`s another story.