PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whopee! Medals for all!
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2016, 14:17
theonewhoknows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the same response, along with a number of platitudes about how our service is still valued.

The MOD's response states that the date was not the MOD's decision, but goes on to say that 'Both the Honours and Decorations Committee and the Service Chiefs of Staff agreed that only officers.....'.

'The decision not to apply retrospection in this case and to amend the eligibility criteria was taken by Sir John Holmes and the Committee on the Grants of Honours, Decorations and Medals (HD Committee), following the conclusion of his independent review on Military Medals, and not the MOD. Ministers have agreed that the eligibility requirements for the LS&GC medal which is currently awarded only to other ranks and not to officers should be harmonised. The date of 29 July 2014 was selected to coincide with a Written Ministerial Statement laid in the House of Lords announcing the end of Sir John Holmes review. Both the Honours and Decorations Committee and the Service Chiefs of Staff agreed that only officers in service on that date should be considered eligible for the award.'

The MOD's response contradicts itself! I intend to take it further, I'm just considering the best way. I have got plenty of medals - it's the principle. I suspect it will be a waste of time.