PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type 1 diabetic class 1 medical
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2016, 10:26
Driftdown89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jared636,

I have just received my Class 1 medical having been diagnosed with Type 1 at the end of June. I did have my Class 1 already so this was a case of regaining my medical.

I spoke to my AME who just issued my revalidated medical 3 weeks prior with no signs of diabetes! Well, he didn't pick anything up anyway... He didn't know how to proceed and suggested I get my consultant doctor to write a report. I tried calling the CAA to which they said I was to speak to my AME... I called my airline and I'm the first with Type 1 within the company and so they couldn't really help me there... I emailed the CAA medical dept, not thinking anything would come of it. A couple of days later, I got a call from a senior aeromedical advisor and she told me everything that I had to do...

Provide 90 days of blood sugar readings (3 or 4 readings a day)
HBA1c value
Renal Profile
Lipids
Urine sample checking for various items (see CAA guidance material below)
Checks for any diabetic complication - retinopathy check, checking of your feet, checking of your kidneys and an ECG stress test checking for any cardiovascular disease.

All of these results were then put into a report by my diabetic consultant and sent off with my spreadsheet of 90 days blood sugar readings.

It's then checked by the chief AME and if satisfactory, you're invited to meet with the CAA diabetic consultant. If all goes okay then you'll have your medical posted out to you soon after.

Sorry I can't help from the point of getting your medical for the first time - I can only speak of my experience.

Here is the CAA guidance material on how to construct the report and the results required - https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/Downl...?id=4294973794