PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former RAF Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2016, 22:16
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwalhx
I believe you mean East of the Pennines.

There has been attempts at serious discussion and whilst I agree if we were starting with a blank [page there is merit in Leeds East. But we aren't, to achieve what people asipre to then probably both LBA and DSA would need to close and neither of the owners of these airports are likely to agree to that.

The North of England has many priorities in transport infrastructure, I for example would like to see an upgrade on the Calder Valley rail line which would be a god send here in Halifax.

There needs to be a motorway connection between Manchester and Sheffield.

I have named only two projects there which would be much higher up and investment agenda.
No you are wrong pwalhx - this project will transform the whole North East of England and will continually add £Billions to the economy of that wider region - that at the moment is being exported directly to the North West of England and the Midlands especially. It is much more important than helping Sheffielders get to Manchester quicker.

LBA and DSA would not 'need' to close at all in exactly the same that Teesside doesn't 'need' to close. It is called solving the problem with the best answer not any old answer. Having too many airports is the worst possible answer to the problem -it creates problems not solves them and hence massive passenger leakage. 1 person on a flight to Belfast clearly shows this. Free market forces just like anywhere else in Europe. Not only that but you are NOT able to say what is 'likely' as you are completely in the dark as to what has potentially been agreed in the long term between certain parties.

Many people who post on here (including the vitriol) have a huge vested interest in Yorkshire and the North East continuing to massively fail and not make use of the gigantic potential.