PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - For the thinker in GA! In defence of the employer
Old 11th Aug 2003, 08:25
Transition Layer

Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts
Well is it just a co-incidence that it is Monday morning and the quarterbacks are out?

Let me start by saying that I agree with Screw Jac regarding the stories and memories - though I have only done a year and half or so in GA, I already feel like I have enough stories to supplement many nights on the turps around whichever hotel bar I may end up in. With no doubt a few more years (but not too many!) in GA to come, the story book is set to grow i'm sure. The mates I have made and the people I have met are probably the most enjoyable aspect.

The only thing I will add is this - there is enough hard work and hardship associated with working in GA as it is that getting paid below award just isn't required. I was lucky in my last job that I was paid full-time award wages and always on time, and I had a hard enough time surviving on that. I never went without food and always had enough for a few beers on the weekend, but living on any less would have been very difficult. The high cost of living associated with remote areas and paying off debts meant there was very little left over at the end of each week. And I am one of the lucky ones.

The stories, the memories, the experience, the mateship are great - but I can't imagine why living below the poverty line makes the experience any more enjoyable and makes the stories any better?

As for anonymity, plenty of people on these forums know me and my background and I have no problems with that.

TL