PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BASI "Limitations of See & Avoid" ??
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2003, 07:54
DickyBaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not wishing to belittle the quality of discussion - but...

Only a small point NOtimTAMs,

I would like to hear some *facts* as to the en-route collision rate, either by comparison between current systems of airspace management, or between airspace models which account for the traffic loads. Even some logical argument would be nice. This has not been forthcoming from proponents or opponents of NAS.
and;

Statements to the effect that the sky is falling are neither facts nor logical argument.
From where I sit it's impossible to get facts or cogent discussion happening because sooner or later the "facts" are disputed as simple twisting of statistics. Our mate Winstun springs immediately to mind (another thread) assuring us that the annual rate of 20 midairs per annum (his figure not mine) is somehow acceptable (apparently because 43200 die in car crashes). Must be a collateral damage mentality - I just don't get it. 1 midair is one too many. No matter how wrong I get it, I'm not the one that dies. If you stuff up you die, if I stuff up you still die. I try not to stuff up. I'm just looking out for the aviators that operate under the blind assumption that they have a reasonable chance of surviving to destination.

The point is that the nay-sayers on both sides of the fence are stifling any real discussion. Where logical argument is presented, it seems by and large it is ignored. Being provocative is what gets following posts...