PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steep climbouts
Thread: Steep climbouts
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2016, 02:33
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steep climbouts

Again, I see videos posted (elsewhere) which show over eager pilots demonstrating the "STOL" capabilities of their aircraft. They seem to miss the point that once airborne, most of the "T" part of STOL has been accomplished.

Hanging off the prop at 30 to a few hundred feet, with hardly any airspeed, is a recipe for a very harmful crash if the engine quits. If there is an operational need, so be it, but most of us are not Hanna Reitsch flying Hitler off a Berlin street, out of gunfire range.

New and showoff pilots: Understand that there is a slow and low "envelope", from which a glide cannot be safely entered, if it quits, you will simply hit the ground in a clump of hurt, with no good excuse for why you and you plane are bent. Build some speed after getting airborne.

This week I spent two days mentor flying three company pilots, whose boss installed a STOL kit on their patrol aircraft, for safety. The boss hired me to do this additional training, after our discussion about the modified aircraft being a greater temptation for unsafe steep departure type foolishness. Once I demonstrated the real scary situation one could create for oneself (at altitude, of course), the pilots seemed to really appreciate the wisdom.

I'm old (my kids tell me). I can't go back, and be young and foolish, so I'll make the most of being old, and stop doing stupid things in planes - like silly steep climbouts, for no reason other showing off to people on the ground.