PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2016, 22:09
Trevor the lover

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
And as for the prior experience before "operating" a jet...............whether it all makes you a better pilot or not, I just am so thankful for all the fantastically fun flying and all the warries that I can think back on, laugh about, and reminisce with my old flying buddies about.
The day the "Local" threw up on me out of Groote, the way too low level stuff through the Torres Strait, the day we got stuck in a bowl in PNG with a failing engine, the drunken nights around the fire in the dessert with the other charter guys, low level orbits around the horizontal waterfall, free accom at Seven Spirit Bay after doing the management a favour, making radio calls like "taxying at Bing Bong for Goomeringbang via Bring Brang" (Yes, all REAL places), playing in the once a year Wave Hill Kalkaringi cricket game and facing fast bowling after 7 green cans, flying into Dum in Mirrie Island then ripping around on the quad bikes, watching an aboriginal funeral service on Elcho (quite an experience), getting to know aviation characters like Bluey the Groote refueller (RIP), etc etc etc.

To me, this is the value of a pre airline career. All those magnificent times that give priceless memories and still bring a smile to my face, while at the same time feeling a twinge of sadness that those days are gone. It sure as hell beats the hell of looking at my little mate next to me who doesn't even shave yet and hearing his "ripper" story of his last VOR in the sim. Aaaah for the good old days. There's a book in me me somewhere of all those great warries.