PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2016, 18:02
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
Harry
Ship building is not subsidised in the countries quoted,you should know, as it breaches EU guide lines, but as an idea to subsidise something that keeps people employed is not always a bad idea. After all are the Royal Navy ships not a form of subsidy, as we could have had them built in Germany like many other nations. Why UK PLC decided in its wisdom to walk away from manufacturing things is a good question, and the reliance on the service sector and invisible's is worrying in a nation of 60m +. Even the Swiss have good pharmaceutical and engineering sectors, not just banking, with a population a fraction of our size. I would also take issue with regards to how we are viewed in the Far East as I would agree with others that we are not viewed as an irrelevance, as you seem to imply, but we are not in the same league as Germany as a trading partner for example. With regards to military clout and the will to use it, and having had experience of it in Africa, the French take some beating much as it pains me to admit it.

Regards
Mr Mac