PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2016, 13:01
OUAQUKGF Ops

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I can't tell you how exciting it was for me as Autair Ops' Tea Boy and general assistant the day that HS748 G-ATMI was delivered to Luton from Woodford on the 30th March 1966.
Never had one seen inside an aeroplane so smart, pristine and with that lovely 'new' smell. Such a contrast to the dear old Ambassadors, the interiors of which resembled and smelt like a well used ash-tray.
After intensive crew training G-ATMI was put to work on schedules and IT charters as far afield as Corfu. She was joined shortly thereafter by G-ATMJ. During the Summer and early Autumn of 1966 both 748s performed an overnight rotation to Milan departing Luton at 2100hrs and 2115hrs respectively. G-ATMJ was exhibited at SBAC Farnborough that year, positioning there each morning from Luton after its return from Milan before flying back to Luton again in the evening ready for the Milan rotation.
Some interesting proving flights were made. These included in May 1966 a visit by G-ATMI to the grass airstrip at Riverside Park, Dundee, at that time the largest aircraft to land there.The airstrip was prone to water-logging and subsequently Autair started a Dundee-Luton (London) service in 1968 using RAF Leuchars. Another interesting airfield was Brough where the runway was just over 1000 metres long. Autair commenced their Hull-Luton (London) service from here in October 1966 using the 748s. Whilst the 748s performed very well from this relatively short runway the same could not be said for the H.P Heralds that replaced them. This factor combined with the construction of a bloody tall chimney adjacent to the airfield by RioTinto Zinc prompted a move to RAF Leconfield.
On a more personal note, I recall in those early days a staff outing in a 748 to Kidlington (Oxford and grass at that time) where several of Autair's pilots' had received sponsored training. On our departure back to Luton the pilot, Mike Ellis performed a high speed daisy-cutter, racing across the airfield before pulling the 748 up into a steep climb - quite exhilarating to those of us who had not lunched too heavily!
I remember watching Pete Hogg displaying the 748 at the GAPAN Garden Party at Denham when Sir Alan Cobham was the Guest of Honour. The runway at Denham was just a little short for a 748 so a landing was not attempted.
My last contact with G-ATMI was in the autumn of 1971 when I was working for Air Anglia. at Norwich. We had chartered an aircraft from BAF, an oil-rig crew change at Esbjerg. To my delight G-ATMI arrived from Southend outside Norwich Terminal (a collection of enhanced huts with, in those days, an excellent restaurant) having been leased to BAF by Autair. Better still the Captain was Geoff Cole, even better I was going on holiday to Denmark and Norway and cadging a lift. It was an absolutely vile day and the weather at Esbjerg was right on limits. A piece of cake for Geoff and the 748.

I would add that it has been a privilege for me and others of my generation who have enjoyed their employment in the airline business to work alongside so many veterans of the Second World War. Typically Geoff Cole. Google: 'Wings of War - Frightened by a Dragon'

Last edited by OUAQUKGF Ops; 19th Dec 2016 at 08:24. Reason: Amendment