PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH - 2
Thread: EDINBURGH - 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2016, 08:03
nighthawk117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criticism of EDI's security debacle in 2015 were justified but the shortcomings now appear to be remedied. According to this article, EDI is the UK’s second fastest airport from check-in to departure;
I've read a lot of complaints about EDI security on here, so I was keen to try it out this summer - I ended up using EDI twice in a month. My first experience was an early morning flight - 6am, and the security area was absolutely heaving! It was so busy, I was the last passenger through the barriers, after which staff started shouting at passengers to wait before scanning their boarding pass, as there was no room for them to get through the gates.

Despite this, I was through the metal detectors 5 minutes later. Incredibly efficient. My second trip through a few weeks later was a bit later in the day - mid morning, and security was much quieter. Still through in under 5 minutes.

I'm a big fan. The system is incredibly efficient, and far better than most other airports, both UK and abroad. I particularly appreciate the fact there are 5 stations at the conveyor belt - my pet hate is LHR T5 with the 2 spots at the belt - you always seem to get stuck behind two people who have never travelled before in their life, and 10 minutes just to undress and unpack their bag. At least at EDI the line is kept moving as you bypass the slower passengers.

On that second trip I was transiting through Amsterdam, so popped up to the viewing deck on the way back. I went to pass through security at around 8pm, and was delighted to see there was no queue just two people ahead of me unpacking their bags. It took 20 minutes to get through - must have been training day!

I'll take EDI security any day!