PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning Obtaining your Helicopter Licence in the USA
Old 18th Nov 2016, 07:12
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Ultima535
Gordy yes did all my checks even called them from the UK you should thoroughly read the thread regarding the extras after I started the training CAA is the UK rating I went for my FAA and yes since I have made other enquiries regarding an alternative school I have heard complaints regarding that school and their add ons.
EddieHeli again you should read thoroughly its 20 mins there, 20 mins back that's 40 MINS out of your flying time NOT 20 yes it's valuable flying time but any novice can fly straight and level keeping within the parameters may be a bit more challenging not had an issue crossing the runway yet
Would love to read your "thread"... But you only have 2 post as of right now---so where is it?

Yes I know CAA is the UK rating. I was a UK citizen in a former life, many, many years ago. (Although I was not born there).

20 minutes is a slight exaggeration to the training areas North and West of KVNY. Yes I fly out of there frequently---I was just there 3 days ago test flying and picking up a 407 from RSI.

I do accept that there is a cost associated with flying out of VNY as a student, because of the flight time to "training areas", but it is no secret. Like others have mentioned, that ferry time is also valuable. A portion of commercial training is straight "hours building". By factoring this extra flight time as part of your "hours building", it does not seem so bad.

Caveat, FWIW, I am NOT associated with anyone at Group 3, however, I have hired some of their graduates in the past, of which one of them still instructs there on an occasional basis.