PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning Obtaining your Helicopter Licence in the USA
Old 17th Nov 2016, 17:50
Ultima535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Obtaining your Helicopter Licence in the USA

Due to a recent bad experience I would suggest that anybody thinking of obtaining their licence in America should not only thoroughly check out the school but try and obtain as many references from previous students as possible not sure how that would be done though, maybe through a site like this or contact other schools for a comparison, I didn't as I took their word, ( silly me )
Once you have gone to the great expense of all the paperwork finger print checks etc, choosing your school and which helo you intend to learn on this has to be entered on all the paperwork and has to be adhered to, paid your deposit to the school for them to finish the necessary paperwork, they then have you by the balls. You arrive at the school and find out there is a 20 minute flight to the practice area and 20 mins back, leaving little time for necessary manoevers like hovering transitions in and out quick stops autos etc and when you get the invoice they have added on a fuel surcharge and cost for pre flighting the machine, the fuel surcharge was mentioned if fuel cost increased but In fact has gone down in the past 8 months so shouldn't even apply, you also need to check the actual engine/flying time. I feel the school I attended ripped me off and once you are there they have you completely at their mercy so my advice choose the school then thoroughly check them out and get references that you can contact.
Eventually I attended another school who were very surprised at the extras their practice area was the other side of the airfield 5 mins away and $150 cheaper so all worked out in the end, thanks for nothing Group 3 Van Neuys

Last edited by Ultima535; 17th Nov 2016 at 23:18.