PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mission Aviation Fellowship
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2016, 14:56
Lind1795

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mission Aviation Fellowship

Several years ago I had the opportunity to fly for MAF but decided against doing so. It was the right decision for me. I have always admired the dedication and bravery of the MAF pilots and today have discovered their first pilot was a lady by the name of Betty Greene. This is a quote from an article on the MAF website:
'In her career, Betty made over 4,640 flights as she ferried aircraft and delivered missionaries, dignitaries and cargo to inaccessible corners of the country. She also carried out many life-saving medical flights for patients who would have died without them.'
There is a lot more here: https://www.maf-uk.org/story/betty-g...ever-maf-pilot

Betty also joined the Women's Air Force Service Pilots during World War II. She died in 1997 at the age of 76. This quote from an obituary in the Seattle Times: 'She flew several kinds of military planes during the war and did experimental work on high-altitude flights. Ms. Greene even flew a plane towing a target, while her twin brother, Bill, fired artillery at it from the ground' More here: Obituaries | Betty Greene, 76; Pioneer Aviatrix, Missionary And A Lady To Her Core | Seattle Times Newspaper

An inspiring and wonderful lady. Well done Betty. Apologies if anyone has posted about Betty before.