PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone with Acid Re flux / GORD?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2016, 11:44
mothminor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gingernut,

I understand your reservation about performing an endoscopy for anyone with acid reflux.

I am not a doctor so can only comment on my own condition, diagnosis and treatment.
As I understand it my Barrett's oesophagus is a pre-cancerous condition, which presents no symptoms.
I also understand that about 1 in 20 with Barrett`s will develop oesophageal cancer but if the cells in the oesophagus are monitored, treatment can be given to prevent (hopefully) cancer developing.

I am monitored as part of a research program at Addenbrooks (Cambridge), with a 3 yearly endoscopy. If the biopsy`s taken indicate any change, then more frequent checks and or treatment can be given.

I also recently took part in a trial (soon to be available in GP surgerys, I think) of a sponge to take cell samples without the need for an endoscopy.
The sponge is coated with a gell and attached to a string.
You swallow it, wait until the gell has dissolved, then it is pulled out scraping some cells with it.
Sounds horrible and I found it most unpleasant but only for a few moments.
This will enable cell samples to be taken easily (and cheaply) by a GP to check for Barrett`s.

As you said, I hope some GI experts will comment.