PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trump impact on Defence posture
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2016, 08:03
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the usual:

Being in Opposition is easy - you can say what you like on a range of subjects and you don't have to actually do or deliver anything............

Once you are elected and 'In Power' it's a whole different ballgame - you look at the books and realize there isn't the $ to do what you want, you realize that actually there are a whole range of legal and constitutional checks and balances that stop you doing whatever you like, you find that people who you thought were your friends before and during the time in opposition actually have their own personal agendas - radically different to yours or what you thought theirs were....................... and finally, you can only blame the people who were there before you for so long before people get fed up with your whining................ and then vote you out next time around. If Trump didn't know this before then I am sure he's starting to realize it now.

Let's face it - when was the last time you saw a bunch of major changes made quickly or against public opinion in any of the 'great' democracies - Hmmm, let me think...................

I think it was Obama who recently told his wife he was the most powerful leader in the world but he couldn't get anything done. Trump will be likewise - I expect the status quo pretty much as it is now in 4 years time. The Russians and the Chinese will push him to see what he is made of.......... he will have to put up or shut up IMHO......................which will it be ?

I know what I think he'll do.................

Arc