PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 16th Nov 2016, 19:23
NDW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to fly more than you want to join a specific service, then I would suggest being open to the potential of flying in any of the services. I only say this because whilst all services have similar requirements in terms of leadership and personal qualities, they did at least weigh their aptitude tests differently.

For example, when I was going through the application process, oh God was it that long ago?, the RAF required you to get a score of something like 110+ to pass for pilot, whereas the AAC only needed 90+. So, all things like medical, leadership and personal qualities and slots available being equal, if it's just about getting up in the air, you might want to consider all options. Just be prepared to answer the inevitable question of "so you've tried for X 3 times and failed and now you've come to us???"
Melchett01,

Thanks for your reply.

I presently have an application in with the Royal Navy as DE Aircrewman (just need to complete my PJFT, then I'll be ready to attend FATS).
As of early October '16, I re-applied to the RAF (I'm aware of the implications this can cause for attending FATS/CBAT and the 12 month wait between each attempt) as when I spoke to the AFCO back in Sep '15, I made it clear I wanted to re-apply as a WSOp when the time allowed.

However, since then the role of D.E Aircrewman in the FAA opened and I jumped at the opportunity.

At the end of the day, I never wish to waste anyone's time, however I've wanted to keep any other options available and the AFCO(s) seem happy to help and offer any advice.

Thanks again gents.

NDW