PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAC - Today's Telegraph
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2003, 01:25
ChristopherRobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, one of the main tenets of this thread (on the RAF side anyway) is that the AAC still has a 'soldiers first' policy.

It dropped that a long time ago. Sure we still go for runs etc, and learn how to shoot weapons - nothing wrong with that in a prone to capture job, is there? After all the RAF do a conduct after capture course too, but wouldn't it be so much better if you could move your lardy @rses fast enough not to get caught in the first place?

And I love all this stuff about the Army being clueless when it comes to complex weapon systems and logistics etc - because the Army just doesn't have any missiles or complex weapon systems at all does it? I suppose you chaps think that the log chain for Harrier is so much harder than even a single Artillery Regiment? No idea, have you?

The trouble is that the most blinkered single-service service is indeed the RAF. Have a look at yourselves! Bang for buck, you just don't return anywhere near the amount of investment as the Army has consistently for decades. Fact is, you lot cost a hell of a lot more money in capitation rates alone, take a Sqn Ldr doing the same job as an AAC Sgt. (or not, in the case of Lynx 5).

As a taxpayer, why should I want a helo pilot who costs me twice as much as another, just because one is in the RAF? At least the Fish heads can claim to bring some better breeding to the job, but you lot?

Time and again in SAMA, I watched the RAF perform textbook sight-picture approaches into XMG, fly over the border, drop men off in a water meadow despite advice not to do so (Puma up to the door in water - thanks v much station commander), fire off GPMG rounds into a 25,000 Ltr fuel tank - having been 'keen' enough to actually load his weapon - I mean has there ever been a more ironic job title than Loadie?

And all this at much greater cost and fewer task lines flown than the fraction of AAC people across the road.

If I was the defence minister I'd cut you lot to shreds. And don't even get me started on Typhoon - you want to see poor logistics? Typhoon's is a complete disaster and the RAF brass know it. Why doesn't the Telegraph research a bit on that?

Stop trying to pretend that efficiency = poor flight safety.
Stop pretending that you are worth the money as if you were all latter-day Douglas Baders.
Start employing NCO aircrew.
Remember that men everywhere do indeed say that that was your finest hour and that when the annals of battle are written they still will.

Don't make the rest of them a sad epitaph to that.