PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get there...
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2016, 20:56
rikesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4015 - couldn't agree more. Would love to hear your story, especially since it seems to be quite similar to mine!

I thought I'd post an update on how things have progressed in the last 4 years. If nothing else, it's a great way for me to look back and see how my direction has changed over time!

In Sep 2012 I started a graduate job in London. With it, came the joys, trials and tribulations of working in the corporate world. I've learned a massive amount about work, life and everything in between. It's also given me fantastic opportunities to travel and see more of the world. Whilst I can't call work a 'passion' in the same way as flying, it's certainly done me a lot of good and enabled me to continue funding my flying.

Per posts above, as time went on I certainly saw the benefits of continuing to climb the corporate ladder but struggled to find a compelling argument to jump off it and train to become an airline pilot. What I can see is an increasingly competitive and tightly regulated market that is becoming more and more difficult to 1) break into and 2) feel well looked-after by your employer. Coupled with the ca. £100k cost of training over 1-2 years and the possibility that any health issue could render my career obsolete - I just couldn't bring myself to take the gamble. Obviously these are just my opinions based on reading posts here, observing the industry and researching the job market - which isn't the same as actually working in the industry. What I've said may not resonate with everyone - indeed I hope it doesn't, or we'd have no airline pilots left! Although maybe then, airlines would be forced to bring sponsorship schemes back

Anyway, at every opportunity I continued to rent aircraft from a few places:

- Leicester (which I have now stopped - PM if you're interested why)
- Bournemouth (Fly With Me Aviation - really good guy, hassle-free with no club overheads)
- Aeros Nottingham / Coventry (expensive but well equipped)

I've done some cool flying (albeit not as much as I'd have liked) - but kept myself current. I've crossed the channel a few times and visited some interesting places. Huge respect to Jersey for maintaining a lovely airport with friendly staff and great facilities, charging just £8 for a PA28 landing + overnight parking! I've done my Night Rating and a few hours of aerobatics, which were incredible. Can't wait to do more aeros!

After 4 years in London (or wherever the projects took me), I decided to make a change. I took a fancy to Berlin and moved there recently - I absolutely love it. If anyone knows how to go about renting aircraft in Germany, licence requirements, airfields in Berlin, any good contacts over there, etc. please give me a shout?

In terms of next steps with regards to flying, what I'd like to do is:

- First and foremost, continue flying. Whenever and wherever possible. It's still an uncomparably magic experience that I never want to let go.
- Build up hours and experience; aerobatics, perhaps IMC.
- I would like to instruct. Every time I take friends/family up, I find myself inadvertently teaching them the basics and they love it. I want to pass on the gift of flying and, now that PPL Instructor Ratings are possible, one day I would like to achieve that.

During this time, I've never stopped visiting PPRuNe (certainly a lot more often than I post). Massive thanks to the many posters, from whom I have gained more and more aviation knowledge on each visit. I will make a promise to myself to post more often from now on. I can't just keep taking

As always, please post your thoughts!