PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spam emails.
Thread: Spam emails.
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2016, 13:18
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I use mailwasher, the freeby one. I have it set to automatically mark for deletion any emails that come from anywhere except those that have their "from" address in my contacts list. This picks up all of the crap and a few wanteds. I then scan down the list and unmark for deletion any whose address is familiar to me. This covers emails prompted from contact with people for the first time, responses from "contact us web forms" and stuff that comes when purchases are made on line. It is fairly easy to spot the wrongly marked for delete ones. Once that is done, all of the marked for delete emails can be deleted with a single click. If you are going to be getting more emails from someone not in your contact list you can right click and "add to friends list", "remove from friends list", "blacklist" etc. Don't forget to add your own email address to the blacklist as a surprising number of spam emails appear to have come from yourself. (so easy to spot, you would think you would know if you had sent yourself an email, DOH). The other benefit of the mailwasher way of doing it is that the emails don't actually come onto your system so any malware hiding in them is caught at your mailserver not splattered all over your hard drive.