PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stampe and Tiger Moth lands next the Pyramids
Old 15th Nov 2016, 08:48
Jan Olieslagers

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Some more detail about the SV.4*:
It is closely tied to the Stampe & Vertongen museum at Antwerp Airport, where also the factory was. Belgian registered (OO-GWB), it carries the Belgian tricolore on one side but the French one on the port side, reflecting the nationalities of the crew. There had been a second SV.4 (OO-SVT) planned to participate but it had to be withdrawn.

*<rant mode>I so hate it when some, mostly Brits, call this plane a "Stampe". On the one side that shows zero respect for Mr. Vertongen, on the other hand the company created many more designs. Though admiddetly this one was their most successful, and would have been so if not chosen (for political reasons) by the French Air Force. But why is it so hard to call a plane by its proper name, i.e. SV.4?
</rant mode>

Regarding the merit of this "expedition": it is more flying than I can expect to ever to be able to afford, so I look on with interest and envy. But yes, the exploits of Colin Hales are even more impressive, very much so. Perhaps the comparison can help us to appreciate the complexity and daring of his tour.

Last edited by Jan Olieslagers; 15th Nov 2016 at 09:07.