PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Airspeed Bug Behaviour
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2001, 23:55
scanscanscan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Wing...I agree with that, and I also found the 757 required more attention on descent profile,and felt a bit more slippery, than the fat 767.
The 757 I felt was also less inclined to slow down than the 767.
I programmed in the descent winds, from the cfp provided, and used the m.78/290kts and 250kts below 10000 ft above the airport elevation,speed decent profile option.
This avoided being caught out at high speeds above turb speed if turbulence or cloud was encountered at night and gave more time to correct if being high on profile due ATC. There is the added advantage of a more gentle deck angle in descent for the cabin crew,generally no use of speed brakes, and a slight saveing in fuel, and stress on the nh pilot, as he observes you stand a good chance of makeing the approach first time.
Maximum descent speeds,high speeds below ten, and supper clean fuel saving approaches,we also did some of these, and you enjoy the buzz, however my friends that always did them, sometimes screwed them up and either died or lost their job for unstable approaches, incorrectly configured landings,unstable go-arounds, etc.At the end of a 12hour night duty, I simply did not have the energy for a dead duck or red brick type descent/approach, it was an age thing.