PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2016, 10:40
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Tuck,

As of a couple of weeks ago* pilot recruitment was being overseen by Head of Base Operations- a pilot.

The HR people currently overseeing the pilot recruitment in mainline are 'Flight Operations' HR. They report to the HOBO. (I just wish we had a 'Manager of Flight Operations because I'd love to one day apply for the job of MoFO!).

The head of 'Flight Ops HR' desk faces the Chief Pilot's. The HR person running pilot recruitment is about 2 meters further away.

Who controls the recruitment process? Interesting question. Certainly it was signed off by Flight Ops (the Chief Pilot) although the process bears distinct similarities to that used for other positions both within Flight Ops and I suspect across the wider group.

Within the decision making process their are pilot assessors on the assessment centre days. A pilot assesses the sim and the Chief Pilot and Head of Training are at least two pilots involved in the exec review prior to appointing a pilot- there have been pilots knocked back at this stage previously.

Whether all that corresponds to the 'control' being with the pilot body I'm not sure. It depends on what you personal weight you put on the word 'control' as there is definitely some nuance to the point. I'm not sure I can accurately answer that question myself and I have a closer relationship with the recruitment process than most.

Either way, it's somewhat irrelevant to those who have to jump through the hoops. It is what it is for the moment.

Hope that assists.

(* I say a couple of weeks ago because much can change in QF in a couple of weeks. There have not been any announcements though).

Last edited by Keg; 13th Nov 2016 at 21:32. Reason: Forgot to explain the *