PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurigny Air Services
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2016, 03:16
Hermite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gurnard
Quote:
Originally posted by Hermite
G-LGIS has been in Oberpfaffenhofen for just over 2 months now. Does anyone know what was actually wrong with this a/c and when it is likely to be back?

I read that the aircraft had at some time in the past been repaired with car-body filler. Might be a bit complicated undoing that, hence the trip to Oberpfaffenhofen.
I suspect that the car body filler story might be one of the many stories floating around about the Dorniers that are somewhat imaginative. These include (for the various a/c) the aircraft are too heavy to take off with passengers, the engines are too heavy for the wings, the wings are the wrong size so the a/c had to return to the factory, the floor has been reinforced with steel so there is no weight capacity left for the passengers, etc.

As for the story about combining the two older a/c, on the face of it this sounds quite a major activity if it is extensive. One story was that G-LGIS was suffering corrosion problems, but presumably this isn't everywhere. G-SAYE has lost its tail plane so maybe that has gone to be fitted to G-LGIS (corrosion in the tail maybe). G-SAYE has -10 variant engines that are higher spec than G-LGIS's -5 variants, so maybe these could be swapped. All complete guesswork on my part, but would fit with the story about a composite a/c being produced, but not such drastic work that it would make it unlikely.