PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loan for full amount of integrated ATPL training with BBVA
Old 12th Nov 2016, 15:47
Rottweiler22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finance is always a touchy subject, but sadly it completely depends on your own individual situation. I'm another one at the start of my journey, but I've had some dealings with the BBVA and spoken to a few people about approaching funding. I'm in no way qualified to tell you what it's like after your training, although some lads here are, but seeing £1300 depart my bank account every month would leave a nasty taste in my mouth, especially when you've got accommodation and living costs after that.

I started-off pursuing the BBVA loan for the full amount, as it seemed a good idea at the time. At some point I decided to review my financial situation, and I realised that I would much better off exploring another option, and fully self-funding. I appreciate that I am very lucky in this instance, but, I've never been out of work since I was 16, being a painter, groundwork, accounts clerk and long-distance lorry driver, and I've always been very tight-fisted, giving me a financial advantage. Like said, everybody's situation is different. I hate to say it, but it's just the way it is.

A few people I've spoken to on integrated courses seem to favour the 50/50 method, i.e £45k loan and £45k from family, working, remortgaging, etc, as it pushes repayments down to a reasonable amount. Rather than paying-back £1250 per month during the full-repayment period, you're only paying £620 per month. Sadly, this will most-likely require help from your family, unless you're willing to graft for a few years to save £45k. A lad I know went halves on the £45k with his parents, working for two years in a restaurant to save £22.5k, and his parents lending him the other £22.5k. Not ideal, but he pays-back around half of what he would have done if he'd got the loan for £90k, which is another way around it.

On thing the BBVA doesn't tell you is that the full-repayment amount per month of your loan must be less than 40% of your guarantors' net income (deductions from mortgage payments, cost of living, loan repayments, etc). So if you borrow £90k, you'd pay back £1250 per month in the full-stage. This is 40% of £3125, so your guarantors pretty much need to have a disposable income of at least £3125 per month, presumably because if you had some financial trouble, they could help you out. If not, the BBVA refuse your application, deem your loan to be "unaffordable", and ask that you apply for a smaller amount, or get another guarantor. That, and your guarantors' property must meet similar requirements.

Good luck with everything, but what you do is what you do, not anyone else. If the loan for the full amount is the only option, go for it, but anyone with intelligence would be weary of what lies ahead.