PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swing the lamp, pull up a sandbag.
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2016, 14:52
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it really was secret! I had a Top Secret Crypto clearance! Of course, so did everyone else, when some of those guys were about on the level of Ernest, that guy with "Know what I mean, Vern?"

We had the first versions of what today are called "Guardrail" aircraft, Beavers, an Otter, and the military version of the Twin Bonanza and the Queen Air.

Life was pretty dull, although once our new CO was shot down over the Parrot's Beak when he got a bit lost and caught a bullet in the carburetor on his Otter.

Another time some young WO-nothing wanted to do a really snazzy take-off with the gear coming up just after rotation on his RU-8D. How to do that was to select "Gear Up" on the ground and let the squat switch do the rest. Worked like a charm, except for the way the heavily-loaded aircraft settled a bit. Cue much dinging and clanging of props, plus it busted the gear. After four hours of orbiting Tan Son Nhut and a semi-gear-up landing on a foamed runway our hero was back to what must have been a very warm reception.

I was not into Saigon Tea (and the Torygraph never had a Page Three). I never got that lonely.

I used to go do photography at this Air Force photo club on Tan Son Nhut. There was an RF-101 recon outfit there that used Kodak Plus-X film, literally miles of the stuff, when we could have as much as we wanted. I bought a Nikon F and learned to do photography. So I was mostly a Saigon Warrior. So sue me!