PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trump Tower - TFZ
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2016, 06:01
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those sorts of TFRs are an utter waste of time. Disney in Orlando has a TFR, ostensibly for 'security'. It's about 3nm in diameter and extends to 3000' - unless you're under ATC guidance, in which case it doesn't apply.

A Piper Cub, or a GV with full tanks and cabin full of diesel and fertiliser could fly over it at 3001', roll inverted and hit the centre before *anyone* could do a damn thing. Same for the stupid 18,000' TFR that would be promulgated when the Shuttle was on it's pad. I could easily fly over the top at 18,001', roll inverted and crash into the thing before *anyone* could do anything.

Presidential TFRs? Big deal. Get a business jet, load it with volatiles, and plan IFR into an airport just outside the 10nm no fly zone. Then ignore ATC & target Airforce 1 just as it taxiied. I'd bet there would be **** all anyone could do.

Most of these sorts of TFRs are just a WOFTAM, or an abuse of corporate* interest

*Disney, for example. How can anyone argue it's a 'security' issue, rather than an 'I don't want to have aircraft buzzing overhead but have plenty of governmental lobbyists' issue?