PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK results out
Thread: EK results out
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2016, 02:11
Icarus2001

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you think is the highest priority issue for management at the moment? There seems to be plenty to choose from.
Thanks for the comments, I am not arrogant enough to suggest what their highest priority should be especially since I do not see their figures. Some people have indicated pax numbers are up with a lower profit so either yield is an issue or costs too high. If stories about bloated numbers in departments are true then that would be why they have brought in CM as a fixer.
Many companies silo each business unit so it is up to the higher level management to oversee this to prevent cost shifting.

Icarus2001 your arguments and cost estimates are way too simplistic. Your numbers look at one persons flight training in isolation
Yes purposefully so. My point is simply that pilot costs are not what is killing EK. All the housing and allowances are fixed so when FO A leaves and FO B starts the difference is the ground school and sim and then any one off moving costs, that is my point. I do take the point that Captains who have children out of school are cheaper than Captains whose children are still in school but that is such an imponderable, some people have no children so it cannot be accurately measured, unlike the cost to replace an FO with a new FO which should be easy to estimate.
I guessed around $50K, if EK are outsourcing the training then they will get a discount for volume so unlikely to be extortionate. Put it like this, I can fly to the US from Australia and do a narrow body type rating for less than US$25K.