PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autogyro study aids
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2016, 17:04
this is my username

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash, I've got a lot (lots and lots!) of time on gyroplanes, and a reasonable amount of time on aeroplanes. Like I said - most of the flight envelope is similar to a fixed wing, it is around the edges of the envelope where it differs. High bank turns are, by most definitions, "around the edges", and if you flare a gyro 3 feet above the runway you are unlikely to have a soft landing.

I suspect you mean well but your posts really aren't very helpful to someone thinking of starting to fly a modern gyroplane. By your own admission you have very limited experience based on an old-style machine. I don't think many people would consider themselves qualified to comment on the flying characteristics of a C172 based on a few hours experience many years ago on a Tiger Moth, but somehow a couple of hours on a gyro seems to make everyone an expert ....

The Glasgow University research hasn't been very well regarded by the industry and has had little impact on modern designs. Glasgow told us that the way to get stability was by having the thrustline close to the vertical CG, and that horizontal stabilisers have little effect on stability. Most modern factory-built gyroplanes have a larger thrust line / CG offset than the one recommended by Glasgow and have great big horizontal stabilisers .....