PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loathe the FSA magazine and really miss Mac Job's Aviation Safety Digest
Old 11th Nov 2016, 12:31
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Pinky,
The subject of the possibility of scanning the whole lot of ASD has cropped up on Pprune many times over the past 15 years or so. In the end the idea died due to lack of interest when it was realised the huge amount of scanning time and effort needed and the unknown financial costs involved.

Over many years, I have collected Aviation Safety Digest from various sources including just recently spare copies from the Civil Aviation Historical Society Museum at Essendon where they have occasional doubles.

Where I had doubles I would occasionally visit local flying schools and leave them on the crew room desk for student and private pilots to read. I found I was wasting my time. Most were more interested in gazing at their smart phones. In short there was a marked lack of interest. The ASD's were regarded as quaint relics of times long past rather like National Geographics and Readers Digests in doctors waiting rooms.

When I saw old copies of ASD's that I had left in flying school crew rooms tossed into corners, I would gather them back and bring them home again. Like many Pprune readers of my era I enjoy nothing more than opening my shed and sitting down with a nice cuppa going through my ASD collection. Have been doing this for years and hopefully will continue to do so.

With all the good will in the world, I very much doubt a CD of all the ASD series would sell to the now generation of pilots. Sad really but a fact of life.

The Civil Aviation Historical Society museum at Essendon Airport has a magnificent private library including a copy of every ASD published.