PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spam emails.
Thread: Spam emails.
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2016, 08:46
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDJ
Whichever method of spam filtering you use, you still need to check for false positives. But what I aim to do is to get the software to learn what I regard as spam. Systems like Thunderbird's adaptive filtering are designed to do this.

I very rarely delete spam manually - that is just too tedious. Instead, I quickly scan through the folder looking at message titles and subject lines, and mark the ones that I know are not spam. These are shifted back to my Inbox. Anything left in "Spam" gets deleted automatically after a set number of days.
Yes, that's what I currently do, I only scan the message titles as it's usually obvious what is genuine or not.I don't open them up and if I want to look at what is ion the email for some reason I just look at it in Outlook preview window.

This really must be a world wide user problem and I'm somewhat surprised that the clever people who run and design the www can't come up with something that would (to the end receiver) make it plain and obvious where the email was sourced from so that some sort of enforcement agency can't 'put the boot in'.

Originally Posted by ExXB
YT,
Apple filters SPAM at their server before I ever see it. Around 5 or 6 messages get through each week and almost always my SPAM settings in Mail dump these into the SPAM folder.

I am not aware of any legitimate message that Apple's filters have trapped in error. Could have happened but it isn't a problem.

YMMV.
From reading a post above I thought I just entered my email address and password into Apple's mail program on my iMac and it would simply go to my email (host) service provider and download my emails to the mail program on my iMac.

If that's the case I can't see how Apple can filter the spam at their server would help me as I would not be getting my mail via their server?