PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 11th Nov 2016, 08:19
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillyPete
They can't make any changes.
Anything requiring recertification would likely mean that the aircraft would fail certification completely under current standards.
I'm disinclined to agree with you on that. The R66 was certified (relatively) recently, and as a completely new airframe had to undertake full certification rather than a modification / amendment to an existing one. If any of the certification requirements have changed since then, I'm not aware of it.

I think in the near future we will see development of a 3 or 4 bladed rotor system, certainly on the R66. This is something I was told directly by RHC that is now being looked at with some commitment.

As an R66 owner / operator, I am concerned about the in-flight break up issues. Attendance of the RHC Safety Course has certainly further increased the awareness of the causes of mast bumping, and must admit that when the machine is light (solo, under 60% fuel), I tend to fly around at 100kts IAS, which in the flatlands of the Midlands is probably very over cautious.

I love the machine to fly, and whilst acknowledging the risks, accept the responsibility to treat it extremely sympathetically in many circumstances to ensure its safety. I do, however, understand why so many people are quick to knock the Robbos, but ultimately, I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited by FlimsyFan; 11th Nov 2016 at 08:21. Reason: Clarity