PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2016, 17:24
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
For those who've heard the story before, apologies! At least I've remembered that I have told it before!

One of the regular attendees at our annual 30 Squadron reunions was once a rear gunner on Fairey Battles in those early months of WWII. Somehow he had survived the suicidal daylight ops against heavy flak and Me109s alike (although now he has sadly passed on).

The frequent award of well earned medals for these operations only caused a growing irritation in him. As an airman (before the policy to make all non-commissioned aircrew SNCOs and above) he personally was denied such recognition. "The Bloody pilots and bloody navigators got the gongs, and I got none!", he complained. Once into his stride he continued with his diatribe, "The barrel of our gun would overheat as we engaged attacking fighters, which we duly reported". The solution? "Then fire them less often ", they were told!

Great heroism against overwhelming odds, which as MPN11 reminds us will be in our minds tomorrow, as well as on Sunday. We will remember them!

PS, Nice "teaser", Geriaviator. Popcorn to hand!

Last edited by Chugalug2; 10th Nov 2016 at 17:40. Reason: PS