PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2016, 13:09
Curious Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phil160
i did not think they would with the set up they have now. that and i cannot see a logical place to put it south side, that would not cost millions to do.
Notwithstanding Daynehold's response, I think the plan was to put it alongside the runway 2 firestation. If you zoom in on Google maps there is a largely concrete area that is raised, situated between the fire station and the A538/Wilmslow Road. It has a ready access road that the firecrews use to get to work, and in fact at one time (it may still be there) the turning into there was signposted Viewing Park, but covered up. Main drawback is that on the face of it the area is a bit smaller than the current location. Certainly moving the preserved aircraft there could be an issue.

If I take my dogs for a circuit of runway 2 we use the footpath behind there and round the fire station, and it would give a good view of proceedings, albeit a bit further away than now.

I think at some point they will have to move the viewing park, as in its current location it blocks any airside use of the area bounded by the A538, the taxiway to the O5L hold and the hangar area.