PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spam emails.
Thread: Spam emails.
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2016, 07:44
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExXB
It sounds like you have no SPAM filters at all, until MS, with that setup. Have you tried tweaking the SPAM settings there. (Sorry, I don't know how to do that) As you've got a Mac, why not try using its Mail application. Apple's filters may not be perfect but they do reduce the volume considerably.

When you set up Mail, you don't have to turn off your MS option, you will get the messages on both and can compare.
The only spam filtering we have is with Norton anti-virus on the MS machines. It does capture most of the spam (8 out of 10 of them I would say) and dumps them in the Outlook spam folder. But, I think like most people I still go and look at the spam emails in the spam folder in case something I actually want has been 'accidentally' dumped in there - nothing ever has to date, but you never know..)

We are still thinking about our email provision going forward using the Mail program on the iMac, but we are still not 100% on that at the moment so we have not invoked it.

I was hoping for some sort of foolproof way to stop the spam emails in the first instance but realistically I think that's not a realistic proposition.

I did email earlier to say that I had tracked down one source of spam emails to a host provider in the usa, when I googled them they actually had an email address to report email abuse ([email protected]) - I did that but after 24 hours it came back as undeliverable. Perhaps their systems thought my email was spam!!

I really don't want to change our email addresses or domain name as we have had it for approaching a decade or more, and we might go to all the bother of changing and notifying etc only for the same, almost inevitable, problem to start again. i don't know where the spam originator got hold of our email addresses in the first place, we have 5 or 6 addresses using our own domain name and one or two of them are very, very infrequently used so I can't see how some sort of automatic harvesting software would have gotten them. Of course, whilst our own MS machines are protected by Norton who knows about our friends and business contact IT systems.